Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Return from the East

I have officially returned to Strasbourg after a wonderful trip to Eastern Europe! I went (by myself) for a 2 week backpacking trip and stayed in some great hostels.

It was an interesting experience traveling alone. At times it was nice, because you only have to worry about yourself - and making decisions is a lot easier - but at other times I felt like I wanted to share my experience with another person. The great thing about hostels is that you meet so many other young travelers (many traveling alone as well) so you form kind of like a small temporary social network made up of many different random people. You all have one thing in common: You love to travel. So there is no end of discussions about places you've been, or places you want to go. I am so glad I went on the trip by myself and didn't wimp out by staying back in Strasbourg!

So here is the breakdown of my trip! (You can view the full slideshow of my photos on the right).

First stop: Prague, Czech Republic

Prague was such an amazing city! The buildings are spectacular and so beautiful. I stayed in a hostel that was right near the old town square. I met a really cool group of guys (I was the one token girl) and we ended up hanging out for the weekend! Some were from England, Ireland, Holland, France and Australia - a really international group!

My favorite picture is one of the old town square and the astrological clock (I took this photo when I arrived at 7am in the morning!)


Second Stop: Vienna, Austria

Vienna was also very beautiful, although I didn't enjoy it as much as Prague. The hostel I stayed in was very large and therefore it was hard to meet people. Vienna is a very large city and is was very commercialized, unlike Prague (and as you will see, Krakow). There were huge department stores everywhere and it wasn't as quaint. Although, the buildings and the Schonbrun palace were very beautiful. I did meet one girl named "So" from Korea, so we hung out one day and did a tour of the palace.

My favorite photo is one taken from Schonbrun palace.


Third Stop: Bratislava ( & Nitra), Slovakia

From Vienna, I took a river boat to Bratislava where Barb and Rick Campbell's friend Zuzana picked me up. We walked around Bratislava (the capital of Slovakia) for a while and then Zuzana's husband Igor picked us up and we traveled to Nitra, the town where they live. They were so kind and nice to let me stay with them, and it was so much fun to talk, and learn so much about Slovakian life! I was able to go with them to a large family gathering as well and I was almost the only one who spoke English...although we did communicate fine through signs (and Zuzana translated a lot!).

My favorite photo is one taken from the top of a hill overlooking Bratislava and the Castle


This next photo is of Zuzana and I in Nitra


Fourth Stop: Budapest, Hungary

From Slovakia, I took a train to Budapest. I was in a small little hostel, and in my room were 2 other people from Vancouver! So we ended up hanging out and meeting 3 other girls from Australia. Budapest is neat becuase it's actually 2 cities combined. On the left of the river is the older "Buda" part of the city. This part is very hilly and has the old cathedral and castle ruins. To the right side is "Pest" which is the newer part of the city. It is more flat and has the parliament buildings along the bank.

The first day I was there I was able to meet with Zuzana's cousin Slavka who is living in Budapest with her husband. She was so kind and took me around the whole city showing me the sights! The next day I was able to meet with Helen Kovaks (a friend of Tony Stuart) and we went to a neat market and talked and had coffee. Helen is involved with Wycliffe and is living there with her husband and three sons.

My favorite picture is one of the main churches on the Pest side.


Fifth Stop: Krakow, Poland

I took an overnight train from Budapest to Krakow and arrived at 6:30am! I went to the hostel and ended up meeting an Australian girl Emily who took an overnight train from Prague! We were able to hang out the whole day and we later met up with 3 English lads. We ate at a traditional Polish restaurant and had Pirogies!

Emily and did a day trip to Auschwitz, the Jewish Concentration Camp the Nazi's set up during WWII. It was very moving and very informative. I just still can't believe how many people were exterminated and how many lives were ruined in that camp. It was a sobering and emotional trip! (But worth it to see).

My favorite photo is one of the main Cathedral and the town square.


Last Stop: Paris, France

I flew from Krakow to Paris where I was able to meet up with First, who was a Rotary exchange student to Parksville from Thailand in (I think) 1997 (or '98). I hadn't seen her in about 10 years! She just happened to have a school trip to Paris the same time I was going to be there. The funny thing is, my parents went to Thailand and visited with her a couple months ago. It was a short trip to Paris, but a fun one!

My favorite photo is one of First & I on the tour bus.



And now I have returned to Strasbourg for one more month! I start exams next week, and then I have to pack up and head home for the summer.

I just want to thank everyone at home who has provided me with so many great contacts all around Europe. I have been so blessed, and my trip wouldn't have been the same without your help and input! So thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin you like you're having so much fun! It's amazing how many different people you are meeting in your travels. I hope you have a great last month of school. Good luck on your exams, I'll be praying for you.
♥Love Cheryl♥
P.S. I love what you did with that picture of the church in Budapest on photoshop it looks really cool...

Anonymous said...

Erin,
What an amazing educational year you're having, becoming bilingual in French(all your courses studied in French)and the different cultures you've experienced and people you've met.WOW!!! What a year!!
It was nice to get back home but hard to get back into exams I bet.
Great job putting the recent travels and pics up on this blog. I know you are soooo busy with finishing school.
Thanx, mom & dad