Friday, February 22, 2008

February Break: Spain, Portugal & Dublin

Hello Everyone! So I have now returned to reality (or France if you will) from my 2 week vacation! I traveled with 4 other Canadian girls all around southern Spain, Portugal and Dublin, Ireland. The trip was amazing and so much fun! Spain is so different from France, so it was a nice refresher to go somewhere so sunny and warm (and I'm not only talking about the weather...the people are like that too!). The interaction with people is definitely different in Spain compared to in France-in Spain people seem to be much more open and friendly. They are more willing to help you learn the language if you try. I found it to be very uplifting!

Here is a brief overview of what we did and where we went on the trip. (I've posted my top pictures here but there is a full album if you click on the slideshow link to the right)

Granada, Spain
On our first destination we decided to visit the historical monument called the Alhambra which is basically a palace built for the Muslim Sultans who ruled Spain around the 9th century. After the Christian conquest around the 14th century the Christian Kings built on to the remaining architectural structures left by the Muslims which created an interesting mix of Muslim and Renaissance architectural traditions. This mix of architecture can be seen throughout many buildings in Spain.

Here is a picture of me and a panoramic view of the Alhambra



Nerja, Spain
We took the bus south from Granada to a little town called Nerja which is on the Mediterranean Sea. It was so beautiful! Just like being in Hawaii or something. I couldn't believe that it was February and we were hanging out on the beach! Mind you the wind was pretty chillly, but the weather was fabulous. We ended up making friends with the local pastry shop owner and his son when we tried to order our lunch sandwiches in VERY broken Spanish. There were lots of hand motions and charades going on!

Here is one of the awesome views of Nerja



Frigiliana, Spain
From Nerja we spent the day in an even smaller town called Frigiliana. It was so quaint with the little white-washed houses and flower pots everywhere. There are so many great restaurants hidden around every corner. The streets are so small that I was so surprised that any car could fit through! It's hard if you are walking down the road and a car comes, becuase there is literally NO room for the both of you! I had to hide in a doorway to let the car pass by.

Here is a picture of me and the cute little streets



Córdoba, Spain
We then traveled to Córdoba which was one of my favorite cities. Here we visited two great monuments: the Mezquita and the Alcazar. The word "Mezquita" is the spanish word for Mosque. The Cordoba mosque was once the most important Muslim mosque in the western world becuase it was from here in Cordoba that the Muslim Sultan reigned over his territory (around 9th century). Like I stated before, when the Christian Kings took over Spain around the 14th century they incorporated their architecture into the Mosque and the building was consecrated as a "Cathedral." You can see the difference in architecture if you click on the link to my full file of pictures to the right -->
The Alcazar is like the Alhambra I saw in Granada. This would be the residence of the Muslim and then Christian Kings. There were amazing gardens with ponds and fountains!

Here is a picture of the Muslim tower and Orange Tree Courtyard outside the Mosque.



Seville, Spain
We took the bus from Cordoba to Seville, and it sure was eventful! We were driving along peacefully when all of a sudden we were being flagged over by the Spanish Civil Guard! Then came on the bus and started checking bags and passports...needless to say we were a little freaked out! One girl I was traveling with, Allie, got her bag searched and they were rattling off at us in Spanish and we had NO idea what they were talking about! They scrutinized our passports for such a long time (I think they were confused with our French VISAs and didn't know where we had come from). Anyway it all ended up fine and they left.

So we get to Seville and we have to find our hostel. We had gotten instructions from the internet to take a certain bus, so we got on the bus and it was FULL of old people. We tried to explain to the bus driver (in Spanish) where we wanted to go, but he didn't understand. WELL...then the whole bus started to discuss and argue over where we were suppose to go and all the old people were talking at us in Spanish (of course we didn't understand). So we start driving and the bus driver pulls over and asks a pedestrian where "San Roque" street was and then proceeds to drive us DIRECTLY to our hostel front door! He went off his route with a bus full of old people to deliver us to our doorstep! It was the funniest thing I've ever experienced!

Seville is where the famous Spanish "Tapas" originated. Here is a picture of Alison and I sharing a plate.



Lagos, Portugal
From Seville, Spain we then traveled to Portugal. Lagos is a great place with cute beaches (so I've heard!) Unfortunately we got caught in a tropical rain storm while in Portugal! It was raining so hard that we literally couldn't do anything! So we didn't get to spend any time lounging on the beaches :( When the rain stopped for a little while (but not the wind), Alison and I ran to the store to buy some groceries and we ended up having a nice cozy lunch inside with pasta and grilled cheese sandwiches!

Faro, Portugal
From Lagos we then traveled to another beach city called Faro, but again, the weather wasn't willing to cooperate. The second day we were in Faro it was cloudy and windy, but thankfully not raining. It is really interesting how different Spain is from Portugal. They are right next to one another but when traveling from one into the other it is very evident that Portugal is much poorer than Spain. In Spain after 5pm the streets fill up and it is the most busy time of day whereas in Portugal no one is in the streets after 7pm. I'm not sure why that is. Anyway, we still had a great time, but I think we were all in agreement that we liked Spain better.

Here is a picture of me in the Faro wind



Dublin, Ireland
From Faro we flew to Dublin, Ireland. I know that sounds like a weird city to add onto our trip, but we were flying with RyanAir which is based out of Dublin and it ended up being cheaper to stay in Dublin for 2 days and then fly back to France. Dublin is a great city! We did a bus tour of the city and learned a lot about the history, and then we did a tour of the Guinness factory! It was so interesting to hear the history of the family and to learn how the beer was made. We even got to have a complimentary pint at the end of the tour! Later that night we went to the famous "Temple Bar" which has live Irish music each night. I of course drank another Guinness (as it's the only acceptable thing to drink) and listened to great songs like "Tell My Ma" that reminded me of the Rankin Family (so I was singing right along with them!)

Here is a picture of me taste testing my freshly made pint of Guinness



So that is then end of my trip. Now I am back in France and I re-start school on Monday. I have mid-terms in two weeks, then another 2 week holiday(!!!!!!!) and then I have finals. So all in all it's only 3 more months until I'm home! I think it will go by incredibly fast. I'm looking forward to hearing from you!!

No comments: